Thursday 28 July 2011

Dunninald

For the month of July, the beautiful Dunninald is open to the public.  This magnificant house is tucked out of view of the main road, but it's situated just a few miles south of Montrose.  Take a peek at the website for details of the opening hours.

We were fortunate enough to visit last Sunday when the sun was shining and the birds were singing, making it an especially excellent day out.



We arrived just as a re-enactment of the signing of the Declaration of Arbroath was taking place.  Eilidh and I were very jealous of the ladies' dresses!  (I sometimes think I was born in the wrong century as far as fashion is concerned.)



The house is a lived-in family home, so you are taken around on an informative guided tour.  After that we explored the stunning gardens.  I'm so impressed by beautiful gardens, largely becuse I haven't got a clue about how to grow anything.  I just kill plants so I've virtually given up.



 The girls found a fabulous tree to explore.




After a walk around the grounds we visited the tea room where we were served the most delicious cakes.  The rose petal cupcakes won approval from everyone!

If you're in the area this weekend then I'd highly recommend a visit as you won't get another chance until July 2012.  I believe they also open the grounds in early spring for visitors to see the snopdrops.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely place, feel v.envious lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climbing trees in white jackets! Now that's brave. Then again I suppose they don't have to do the washing :o)
    I love it when they do re-enactments, makes learning about history so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog.
I love receiving your comments :)